We have been dreaming of a purpose-built music education and performance facility since the very beginning, now that time has come! After 30 years of continuous expansion, the Orange Regional Conservatorium has grown far beyond its current physical capabilities. With over 35 professional musicians, teachers and administrative staff, only 18 teaching studios and no dedicated rehearsal spaces, the need for a new building has become crucial.
This project, driven and supported by Orange City Council and designed by Ian Brewster of Brewster Hjorth Architects, will see this education, arts and science facility completed within the next two years. Situated within the same block as the Orange Regional Gallery, Museum, Library and Civic Theatre, it will complete the Orange Cultural Precinct, becoming a hub of arts and entertainment in the Central West.
- 250 seat recital hall.
- 40 teaching studios.
- 4 dedicated rehearsal spaces.
- Early Childhood Music room.
- Several multipurpose teaching, rehearsing and recording spaces.
- Administrative areas and offices.
- Dedicated instrument storage and music library.
- Dedicated green rooms and backstage facilities.
- An 80 seat planetarium and science education facility.
Current Project Status
- $10 million allocated from Federal Government in 2019.
- $5 million allocated from Orange City Council in 2020.
- Orange City Councilors unanimously agreed to fund the remaining $5 million in 2021.
- Development Application approved by Orange City Council.
- Development Application approved by the Western Region Planning Panel.
- Considered ‘Shovel Ready’.
- Tentative completion timeline – Q4 2022.
Development Application Submitted
L-R Orange Planetarium inc. President Rod Somerville, Councillor Russell Turner, ORC Director Donna Riles, Mayor Reg Kidd.
How you can support this project
While the facility’s construction costs will be primarily covered by Local and Federal Government, the fit-out of studios, rehearsal spaces and recital hall will need to be funded by our community of donors and supporters. Our goal is to ensure the people of Orange have a performance and education space fitted out to the highest level. We will recognise this project’s support through naming rights, signage, donor boards and more.
The Orange Regional Conservatorium is a registered charity and has Deductible Gift Recipient status (DGR). All donations over $2 are tax-deductible.
Do you have a question?
We are currently creating an F.A.Q for this project and are seeking feedback from our community as this project moves rapidly forward. Submit your question below, we will respond to as many as possible and publish the most frequently asked on this page.